Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Perfectly Vexatious Day

It was a hot, muggy day with a four-hour power outage to contend with. I know, I'm committed to focusing on the positive, and so I decided to continue doing so by focusing on the positively vexatious parts of the day.

1. One of the children in our neighbourhood came to us today asking if we could tape her shoe together, because it was falling apart. We wrapped gun tape around it, and she seemed happy enough, but it broke my heart. And it was very hot, so then I was worried all afternoon that the hot pavement might melt the tape and she'd get stuck to the sidewalk!

2.  One of our neighbours scraped the back bumper of our car...and never bothered to come to tell us and own up to it. I mean, it's not just a wee little scrape, but right across the entire bumper. It didn't take long to figure out who it was...doesn't she realize that the grey paint (from our bumper) clearly shows on the side of her old green car? Duh!

3. We wasted an entire drum of lancet needles because we couldn't figure out how to use my new glucose testing thingie, even after that cute pharmacist gave us the full demo yesterday. I finally figured out that I had to press the little yellow button hiding half-way down the thingie, and not the thing-a-ma-jiggy at the top of the thingie, which clearly looked more like the obvious place to press. It's a good thing that the cute pharmacist threw in the extra needle drums, though the only thing better than him throwing them in the bag yesterday would be to have to go back and ask him for another demo and more needles tomorrow.

4. The power outage forced us to eat the rest of the green tea ice cream in the freezer...so much for my first day on this new diabetic diet. We should have given it to the neighbourhood kids, but they were all at the park playing in the water sprinklers there. At least that's what we told ourselves as we dutifully gobbled up all of the ice cream.

5. We went to one of my favourite buffets for lunch (we had guests from out-of-town and they chose the restaurant) and despite this being the first day of my diabetic diet, I couldn't resist that second piece of chocolate brownie. It was VERY TINY though, so maybe two very tiny pieces count as one serving? Since I haven't figured out it all out yet, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Now, as I head to bed, our little shoe girl made it safely home, the car still runs, my sugar's down, the power's back on and the only thing I regret about taking that 2nd little chocolate brownie is that I didn't stick a few more in my purse. Ah, live and learn. Ain't life grand while we're at it!



If we are ever to enjoy life, now is the time, not tomorrow or next year...Today should always be our most wonderful day. (Thomas Dreier)


No comments:

Post a Comment