Monday, June 11, 2012

Blogging The Journey

I started writing this blog because there is a lot of crap going on inside of me, because there was a lot of crap going on in my life for the past few years. The crap has finally settled down...but there is, and will continue to be, fallout to deal with. So my hope is that by pouring some of it out here, it might help me find better ways to get through.

I want my life to make a positive difference. I want my words to bring light and hope and maybe even comfort to anyone who reads them...including my own self, because I too need light and hope for my own journey. It's fun searching through the Internet for positive messages, inspirational quotes and beautiful pictures to share with others, here and on Facebook, but I do it also because of my own need to soak in that beauty and inspiration and positivity. I post these words because I really need them to sink into my own psyche and keep me moving forward and upward. I don't want to get sucked into the darkness that hovers at the edge of my day, waiting to grab me by even the thinnest shred of futility and pull me down into a dark hole too deep to climb my own way out of.

So I write all around it, infusing hope and light, because I know that there has to be hope and light. Even though I might not be feeling positive deep down inside, I hope that by writing it into my script, it will come true.

Because underneath all of these attempts to rewrite myself into a better place is a strong undercurrent of remnant sadness. I still feel bruised by the impact of so much fallout, and lost in the rubble of so many rugs being pulled out from under me recently. I simply don't know how to cope with it all sometimes, it's so overwhelming. So I don't do anything at all, except resolutely plodding on, day after day, breaking each day into manageable chunks of routines and moments, ignoring the ambiguity between where I am and where I want to be. Because if I confront it, it means I'd have to do something about it and I can't...or don't want to have to make any life-altering decisions right now. I need some of these rugs to stay under my feet for now.

I guess that's my coping mechanisms...to just take each day as it comes and deal with it in those smaller  chunks. I wake up in the morning determined to fling open those curtains and breathe in enough of that sunlight and "clean slate" mercy to carry me through the day with enough positivity and gratitude attitude to make it all the way through to that moment when I can fall back into bed again and be grateful to have made it through another day.

My experience has been that when we dwell too long on the negative, we often just end up perpetuating it and never find our way out of it. As valuable as therapy has been throughout my life, there has always come that point when it was time to stop digging around in the dirt and start building something better with whatever is left to build on. So here, I'm trying to use the negative stuff only to provide background and a starting point, and from there I want to explore the hope and light and all the small "do-able" ways to find the way through, in hopes that it not only helps me but maybe someone else who is also struggling.

Most of us are hurting in some way; many of us find ourselves fumbling our way to new horizons that we're forced to redefine because of loss and fallout and rugs being pulled out from underneath us. We need hope that we can find safe pathways through the tough stretches of road, and light to help us find our footing in the strange new surroundings that we face when new upheavals leave us lost without an updated roadmap.

I don't know if my struggles help anyone else. I do know I have to keep putting one foot in front of the other in blind faith that one day the light and hope that I try to infuse into my writings become my own and not just borrowed from catchy quotes and beautiful Googled pictures.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! It does get better. Not all at once, but day by day, one step at a time. Most of us choose not to deal with things every day, but we pick and choose what we have the strength to confront at that moment in time. You are strong; the fact that you have come as far as you have proves that. Choose a mantra that describes who you want to be, and say it to yourself every day, in front of the mirror! Eventually, it sticks. It may take a day or more, but it does work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruth. I use mantras a lot, but haven't found one to suit these circumstances. But I created one after reading your comment and am continuing to chant it under my breath...let's see if it will start to kick in. And yes, I've come a very long way...it's empowering to look back and remember where we were and then look at where we've made it thus far...and the lessons learned along the way. Would I want to do this particular stretch again? Nope! If I knew then what I know now, I think I would probably walk away from it all. But I didn't, and so this is the only "now" I'll know and that will have to be okay.

    ReplyDelete