Sunday, June 24, 2012

It's an Alleluia Day

I've been writing quite a bit about words lately, including a few of my all-time faves. But I saved my very favourite word for today...Alleluia...Hallelujah...oh how I love this word. The mere thought of it rolling around in my head sends my soul soaring through the universe and dancing across the mountains and Milky Way...softly spoken, it evokes majesty and tenderness; sung together with many other voices, it lifts my heart right to heaven itself and lays me gently at the feet of Jesus. I love this word, I love to speak it, I love to sing it, I love to hear it sung - I love to fill my entire being with the sound and feel and glory of it.

Alleluia

To celebrate my favourite word, I pulled together a few of my favourite Alleluia/Hallelujah songs from YouTube. There are others which I haven't been able to find yet, but some of these have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember and I wanted to post them today for anyone who might want to have a listen. I hope the links work, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.


Sing Hallelujah to the Lord (Maranatha Singers)

Sometimes Alleluia (Chuck Girard)

A New Hallelujah  (by Michael W. Smith, with the African Children's Choir)

Agnus Dei (Amy Grant)

Handel's Messiah Hallelujah Chorus (Mormon Tabernacle Choir)

Handel's Messiah Hallelujah Chorus (Opera Company of Philadelphia's Food Court Flash Mob version)


And how can I do a blog on the word without including Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah (sung here by KD Lang) [everyone has their favourite version of this song, this is one of mine] and here's some background of the song- and I agree with the author, that it's been a bit overdone lately. But I couldn't not include it here.


Finding the links to these songs listed here led me on a wonderful journey through some beautiful music! Now I'm off to go listen to a few of the gems I found while not even looking for them! Alleluia!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment