Monday, June 25, 2012

A Forgotten Birthday

It's early in the morning here. For all the effort I make to create a positive environment for hubby and myself, focusing on gratitude and the blessings in our lives (which are immeasurable!), I have to admit that I'm very very sad this morning. For once it's not because I've been wallowing in self-pity or allowed my mind to stray back to ancient sad memories. No, this morning I'm very sad because everybody forgot the birthday of our 90-year-old neighbour.

He's not technically our neighbour anymore. He and his wife had to move suddenly to a senior's residence just before Christmas. (It's his house that we've been cleaning out for the past 6 months.) But we were neighbours for twelve years, and every year many of the neighbours on our townhouse row made sure that their birthdays were remembered and celebrated. We always brought over a small gift and card. Another neighbour baked (or bought) a little birthday cake and we would all traipse over there after supper, light candles and sing happy birthday to whichever one of them was celebrating. It was always fun for all, but it was especially appreciated by these two very elderly and ofttimes lonely people.

Yesterday we all forgot. I've never written it on our calendar, never thought to, because we never had to, we all just remembered. I don't know what jogged his memory, but hubby remembered after supper last night and immediately phoned R. to wish him a happy birthday. Even hubby was almost in tears when he hung up after hearing that we were the only ones who remembered. As of early evening last night, nobody else - none of his children, grandchildren or great grandchildren had remembered or called. We called one of his grandsons and left a message to remind him to call his grandfather but we don't think he read the message until long after his grandfather would have gone to bed.

We're going to try and get over there today to bring him a card and a little gift, and we'll find out if the word spread and if anyone else phoned. But all last evening, and now this morning, it has been weighing heavily on my heart. We had the whole day free yesterday. If I had remembered, we would have been over there with a cake and maybe a few other neighbours in tow to celebrate like we have for the past 12 years.

To make it worse, it was his 90th...a major milestone!! I'm just so sad that we weren't there for Ross yesterday. How very very sad.

I know I can't dwell on it...I can't wallow in the sadness, I have to pick myself up and forgive myself (and yes, I wrote it on the calendar so we won't forget again next year). But for now, I just wish we could turn the clock back 24 hours and know then what we know now.

2 comments:

  1. You are human, so don't berate yourself. We're all allowed to forget important things occasionally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I can forgive myself because I didn't even know that it was his birthday. It's sad that all of his family forgot...though many of them called him this morning.

    ReplyDelete